Sunday 28 October 2012

WHO'S THERE?

The internet is a wonderful thing... sometimes for all the wrong reasons.

I couldn't even hazard a guess as to how long we spend each day on the broadband highway. I would imagine it's different for everyone. Minutes? Hours? I couldn't even tell you how long I spend on in front of the PC and I watch me do it, lol. 

But like I said, the internet is a wonderful and an addictive thing. One of it's most popular attributes is that you can be whoever you want to be and no one would ever know. I could tell you anything I like and you couldn't refute a single word... because you're not sitting next to me. You have no idea who I am... not really... you only see what I let you see... what I want you to see. Fortunately, I'm not imaginative enough to create a far more interesting me... so those of you that think you know me, don't worry... you do. What you see is what you get. I like a good gossip, I like a good winge. I'm fiercely loyal to my friends and family and when I love, I love hard and unconditionally and I can't be bothered saying anything behind your back that I wouldn't say to your face. Life is too short to fanny around. And although I could tell you this is me... we all know it's not.

But the more I think about it, the more I realise we all wear a mask to some extent. I myself have fallen prey (if you like - can't think of a better phrase) to those who aren't all they seem. And while we secretly hope if there is mask wearing to be done, behind them we'll find Cary Elwes... we know we won't.

Being of a somewhat naturally cynical and self-deprecating mind set, my first impressions usually work for me. But how can our instincts protect us when we're sat behind the keyboard? If someone creates an easy going, sweet persona, how can we disbelieve it? I suppose we can only tell when something happens to crack the rose coloured glasses we're wearing.

It's easy to hide behind a facade you have created to convince people you're not. It's not so easy to convince them face to face when the illusion is shattered. My conscience is clear... is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment