Saturday 8 October 2011

The Firsts....Do you remember them all?






I tried to keep a track on all their firsts and I got most of Alex's, being the first one with his shiny red medical book.  So I wrote them all down in their little squares.  First smile, first time he held his head up, first laugh etc, etc. 

He first slept through the night at 3 weeks (I know, I wasn't complaining about it!)
He first smiled at 7 weeks.
Cut his first tooth at 8 months, just after he rolled over for the first time.
Laughed at 4 months and finally walked at 15 months (lazy sod).

Then came Gracie and I admit I was a little less religious about writing things down...when you've got two of them your mind tends to be on other things.  But I still remember them all...if anyone asks me I can reel the ages of the firsts....which I don't think is bad at all.

She first slept through the night at 7 months (OMG did we do the Snoopy dance that night)
She first smiled at 5 weeks (and hasn't stopped)
She cut her first tooth when she was four months old, and rolled over then too (she's a multi-tasker and did everything bar walking before her brother did)
She laughed at 4 months and finally walked at 16 months (lazy moo)

And the reason for all of this twaddle?  She came up to me yesterday to tell me her tooth hurt. I looked at it, I touched it and it wobbled.  It was like a knife through my chest, more so than when she was potty trained, more so when she went to school, I don't know why.  It just seemed like a bell tolled...my baby isn't a baby anymore.

She assures me that she'll always be my baby, even when she's a grown up and has babies of her own, and she's so excited that the Tooth Fairy is going to visit that I can't be sad for me and the loss of babyhood....I'm just so excited that she's taken another step on the road she is set to take.

And I've got all those firsts....and no one can ever take them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment