Wednesday 27 July 2011

WAFFLING WEDNESDAY'S GUEST: MICHAEL MANDRAKE

Please welcome my good friend and very talented author, Michael Mandrake.  The rate at which Michael churns out the most wonderful stories, makes my head spin and when I grow up I want to be him.  Now let's sit back and enjoy as we take a trip inside that beautiful mind and see what he has in store for us today...

Take it away Michael :)


Be a Multi-Faceted Writer
Michael Mandrake

Thank you Lisa for having me here today. I would like to talk about being multi faceted as an author. 

Now, those that know me are aware I write gay erotica primarily but I also write hetero as well. I think it’s important for authors to have a variety to what they write so their readers stay interested and even though the M/M has been my primary focus, I do intend to write more m/f stories. I would say the M/M is my preference because I enjoy creating stories about manlove and romance but I realize that the backbone of erotica is still the vanilla and until that changes, I feel there’s a need to have at least a few in your repertoire.

Let me also say, this is only an opinion. I don’t claim to be an expert but me as a reader would like to see my favorite writers try something new. If you’re an M/M author and like sticking to it, then try writing a historical instead of a contemporary or dip into paranormals.

With my story, “Longing for a Normal State of Vertigo,” which appears in the gay sci-fi anthology, Riding the Rocket from Sizzler, I wrote a tale of a young doctor in the early 1900’s who’s looking for something new in his love life. I’ve also done a story called, “Jude’s Gift for Valentine’s Day,” for the XOXO Valentine’s Holiday, Love Tells All collection. It’s a vampire story about a man who’s decided to give his 300 year old immortal lover a special gift for Valentine’s Day.

Of course, doing new genres or subgenres comes more research but that’s part of the fun. For my upcoming hetero novel series, African Sun, I did a lot of research on the continent of Africa. I found out many interesting facts about the country of Tanzania where the story is set as well as tribes and healthcare organizations that have served in the rural regions. It was fascinating what I’d read and as I continue doing the series there will be more. All this because I love to give my readers a different look from me. The worst thing I want to be is predictable.

I’d like to thank Lisa again for having me today and as I go, readers, I would like to know if you agree. Would you like to see some of your favorite writers try something new?

Thanks for your time

A Second Chance by Michael Mandrake http://xoxopublishing.com
Michael Mandrake - http://tabooindeed.blogspot.com
It’s Raining Men Blog - http://rainingmenamen.blogspot.com

Here is a teasing taste of Michael's new release, A Second Chance - which I advise you to go out and buy immediately !!




BLURB:

Hesitant to begin a relationship with someone new, two police officers who have lost their partners in the line of duty try to deal with their obvious attraction to one another. Will one of them accept the other’s proposition to start over or remain alone because of their places on the police force?

PG EXCERPT:


While we continued to chat, I noticed DeClerc in my peripheral. I couldn’t help but stare at him. I moistened my lips, biting the bottom as he came closer.

Damn…

“Um, hello…” I looked past the chief to take a long gander at Daniel. I stood up, extending my hand. “I’m Farris Beason.”

He accepted. “Daniel Declerc. Nice to meet you.” The handshake was firm, his hands soft like a female.

Don chuckled, “See Beason, if you would’ve been in the right frame of mind you could’ve joined Daniel today.”

While we exchanged smiles, I gawked at the pretty face in front of me. Daniel was even more gorgeous up close. The only distraction was the defect on his finger. Who was lucky enough to call him theirs? I had to find out.

“Pity,” Daniel said with a grin. “Maybe when you’ve recovered from your wild night?” He cocked an eyebrow.

I laughed, “Yeah, um…maybe…”

We’d broken our hand gestures but not our gaze. Maybe he did play for my team, but the question remained, who was he married to?


Fabulous!  Thank you so much Michael for sharing your thoughts with us today.
Join me on Friday when I shall have the lovely Sue Brown entertaining us with her latest release The Lord's Tale, part of The Fitzwarren Inheritance Trilogy.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for having here today Lisa! Big hugs for the comments as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Michael Mandrake!
    Love your excerpt!
    Always good to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree. I've been writing contemporary in the Gay genre, but I'll surely write something paranormal at some point since I only wrote paranormal in the YA genre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol, thanks hunny for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erica,

    Yes, I do think its important to do something a tad different.

    Funny, I really do the hetero so sparingly. I'll need to pick it up a notch

    ReplyDelete