Friday 22 July 2011

FRIENDS FRIDAY - MINDI FERRARI

My first guest for Friends Friday is Mindi Ferrari, who has agreed to answer a few questions and share with us a sneaky peek of Midnight Assassins her new novel.



Thanks for answering some questions for me, Mindi.  

Thank you for having me. 

So who is Mindi Ferrari?

Let’s see; first off let’s state that I am not normal, nor have I ever been. I am as crazy as they come. I have a brain that turns like a hamster wheels, and body that somehow has adopted some form of ADHD And my attention is like a dog always on to something else, new, and fun. Raised in Las Vegas, Nevada I have always had a passion for reading and writing. Since I was 10 years old I dreamed of writing horror novels. That dream quickly ended with the realization that boys and girls were supposed to not only get along with one another, but they were so supposed to fall in love and live happily ever after. I have taken just about every course college had to offer, majoring in criminal justice, with minor in elementary education & working as a substitute teacher.

When did you know you wanted to write?

I always knew I wanted to be a writer but for me it really came to fact when I realized I wasn’t the average bear and had to do things much quicker in life than most people. I had dreams that I wanted to play out. So I finally sat in front of my computer about 5 years ago and started typing, and never looked back.

What was your first published book and how long did it take?

My first book was called “The First Taste” it’s a young adult paranormal romance that I wrote in about 4 months. But it took about 6 to be published. Unfortunately the publishing company I was with took the book and ran with it and screwed me pretty bad. But we all learn and I kept trekin on…

How many books or shorts do you have published?

 6 stories and I have 3 books published. The First Taste, Midnight Assassins, Wicked Games. I just finished Dark Days which is a contemporary romance and my masterpiece. I am also working on my first western romance and trying to get the sequels to a couple started.


What some don’t realize is that writing is a discipline and you have to proportion a part of your day to it – how long does it usually take you to complete a manuscript?
About 5 to 8 months. I have been able to get almost a whole 90,000 word novel out in 3 months but then I get writers block on closing the book and end up taking 5 months to finish.


Do you outline your plots first?  Or are you like me and just go hell for leather?

I am more write as it comes. I don’t like to outline I like to let the characters speak to me and take me where their story needs to go. The only part that feels like outlining is writing down the characters attributes and the basics about them. I cannot outline, to me it is exhausting and takes away from the surprises you can give yourself and your books.

 Do you write full time?

I write anywhere from 4 hours a day to 8 hours, it just depends on what my muse is doing.

Out of your body of work – do you have a favourite character?

I would have to say Jude in Midnight Assassins, his character shouts at you on every page he’s on. He’s the alpha male but a total asshole with the good looks and charm. Yet he has this twisted way about himself that makes you want to kick him in his ankles.

What’s your process?  Do you pick names first?

Oh yep I have to pick the name before. I can say that I have always had an issue with my female characters. There have been a couple times where their name just didn’t match the personality and I had to change it because it drove me insane every time I read or typed their name.

What was the best piece of advice you've been given about writing?

Be yourself and write how you want, don’t ever change your style for someone because there are plenty of people just like you who crave the stuff you write.

Is there anything you’ve learned about the business of writing since you were first published?

Be patient. You have to learn to take your time and not rush things and also know that you will get a hundred no’s before you finally get that one yes, and when you do it will be the happiest moment of your life.

If you were to offer advice to someone starting out, what would you say?

Don’t ever give up on your dream of writing no matter how many road blocks you hit. And you have to learn to be okay with criticism, everyone has an opinion and everyone has advice to give. Some you can take to heart and others you can throw away.

How much of you finds its way into your books and characters?

Oh, wow a lot, I would say about 60 percent of personalities in my characters or time and events are placed in my books from experiences or friends experiences.

Who are your favourite authors?

I love JR Ward and Gena Showalter, I have yet to find another author that I love as much as these two. Of course, I also love my vampires and supernatural men too.

What other profession would you like to attempt?

Honestly I think I would have been a homicide detective. I love all things that deal with death and the why’s and how’s of it, and being able to bring people to justice with a swift kick of my boot.

What do you do in your free time?  And don’t say writing!

I love to exercise, I would die if I could not ride my bike a couple times a week. And I love to read.

What makes you laugh?

By nature I am very sarcastic, I have a very naughty sense of humor and everything seems to ride on me being perverted.  Oh what makes me laugh, of course I would have to say things that hit me out of nowhere and people who have out there behavior and personality’s, you shouldn’t take life to serious.

What irritates you most about other people?

I can’t stand it when someone has an opinion but cant back it up. I also don’t like religious babble and people that preach to others and try to push their beliefs on them.

Thank you for coming to chat, Mindi. 

I’ve loved every minute of it and thank you for having me.   

It's been a pleasure and you can find Mindi at:-

Facebook:  Mindi Ferrari
Website:  www.mindiferrari.com


This is a little taste Midnight Assassins:

His boots crushed the ground beneath him, “One step at a time.” He told himself. “She will make it.”
His heart clenched and cracked like trees in a thunderstorm. The blood was dripping down the side of his arm and falling to the ground. The scent coming from her blood made his fangs elongate, his nose tickle with excitement, and the bulge in his pants throb. He had to put those thoughts away because she was dying, he could sense it.
“That fucker is gonna die.” Nicholie’s patience was wearing thin, he knew that Jude had it covered but also knew that one kick to that mother fucker’s skull was not good enough for him.
He had to get her to the doc though and only had a few minutes left. She had been beaten hardcore the way his daddy used to beat him and his sister.
There was something about the woman he carried in his arms, something that made his heart beat out of order. Something that made the very core of him want to protect and keep her all to himself. Knowing she was human though made it out of the question. As he braced her body and ran fast toward the mansion, he knew without a doubt as soon as she was well, he would have to let her go. That’s if everything went the way it should.
Nicky couldn’t feel the burn the fast pace was placing on his bones and skin, his muscles were working overtime but his mind was on the woman.
Within five minutes, he had made it fifty miles and up into the mountains where he lived. Stopping long enough at the gate to be buzzed in, Nicky ran straight for the building behind his house where the doc’s quarters were. Passing the rose bushes, he hit the front door, slammed it into the wall, and knocked it off its hinges.
“Nicky what the hell are you doing?” As the doc rushed to help him with the woman, he grabbed at Nicky’s arm and rushed him over to a table in one of the rooms.
The house the doc lived in was three stories and each level had its own purpose. They however were on the middle level.
“I found her behind the clinic, just behind Shadow Lane. I got the damn bastard right before he pulled his jolly out of his pants.” His breathing never wavered, even though he had run faster than he ever had before.
“Jesus Nicky, you might have got her here just in time.” The doc rushed to his cabinet and pulled out a nineteen-gauge syringe with all the trimmings. As he went back to the woman’s side, he pulled her shirt away from her neck and stuck the needle in the jugular vein. “This will help calm her for a little while so I can examine her.”
He never asked questions when the doc did his duties, but for some reason, him being close to her made his body tense up. As the doc began to check over the woman, he knew he could hear the soft growl rising up in his throat.
The doc looked Nicky in the eyes. “Steady there tiger—you okay?” Nicky felt the doc’s eyes on his every move, watching the expression on his face, Nicky knew he would get an ear full later. He was already paranoid about the woman, and for no apparent reason. Just as he watched the doc reach for the woman’s arm, Nicky went into panic mode, his chest heaving, a growl rising, suddenly he bared his fangs. “Nicky, I’m not going to hurt her I need to examine her and make sure we can get her to pull through this, okay?”
The growl stopped and his eyes eased back to normal.
“I just—shit, I’m sorry. I don’t know where that came from.”
“She’s human Nicky, you know that right? I mean I can help her and I will just considering the facts but—”
“But nothing, look I know the rules. I will give her head a wash and return her as soon as she’s well.” That thought made him cringe.
Nicky watched as doc returned to the woman’s lifeless body to check her vitals. Right as he reached to take off her clothes, so he could examine the rest of her body for damage, Nicky grabbed his hand and forced him to stop. This is my woman. Although he knew the doc needed to put a gown on her to begin using the hardcore machines, he felt she was his territory, that it was his job. “I’ll do that, turn around,” Nicky snapped faster than a two year old throwing a temper tantrum.
“Are you serious? Look, I can’t do my job if you keep stopping me, Nicky. Get your emotions in check or I will be forced to make you leave. Don’t think I don’t have back-up.”
“I will help then, I will do what needs to be done physically, I don’t want you seeing her naked. I mean you don’t know her—I mean look, just let me take her clothes off and put her gown on then you can turn around.” The doc inhaled a deep breath.
“If it helps, but you mustn’t think I won’t ever see her naked, Nicky. Look what if she needs surgery?” As Nicky nodded to the doc then took in a nice deep breath to get his emotions under control for the second time. The doc shrugged his shoulders and began to set his supplies down. “Then do as you wish, Nicky, but as a doctor, I have morals and one of them is to not check out patients.”
“Fine, but do me a favor and stop saying my name so damn much, you’re making me hate it.”
“Good we agree then—I will do my job?” Nicky nodded.
“Fine.”
They both took off what was left of her clothes, and then he stood there in shock. Yes, he knew the human race, but to be honest, he didn’t know one human being was capable of surviving with this much damage to their body, her tiny, delicate body. His heart wanted to cry, but every single part of him stayed strong as they put her gown on and the doc hooked up her I.V.
“I will keep her on a slow drip of fluids and get an x-ray to see if anything is broken, judging by the look of her head, I would say that she at least cracked her skull. She will need an MRI to make sure that there is no swelling of her brain or other organs for that matter.” Nicholie brushed his finger over the side of her cheek and whispered softly into her ear.
“I don’t know you,” he said, “but I promise I will fix you.” Then stood straight up, knowing he couldn’t keep her even though there was something about her that felt like home.
“She is in good hands, Nicky, you know that.” He watched as the doc bowed slightly, and then placed a fist over his heart.
“Why do you do that?” Nicky’s brows burrowed.
“I’m more concerned with our race’s manners and behavior—” Dr. Woods shook his head, “Never mind, it’s called respect,” he said then walked away from Nicky, to the side of the human.

 Join me next week when on Friends Friday I will have, Sue Brown, Chris Quinton and RJ Scott to talk about their Trilogy around The Fitzwarren Inheritance.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment