Thursday 9 June 2011

Another taste of Running from the Past - Released on the 15 June 2011




Inside the concourse, Ford found a fairly empty coffee shop and guided Noah to a booth at the back where he hoped the cuffs and his uniform wouldn’t attract too many curious onlookers.  Ignoring Noah’s attempt to catch his eye, he waved a hand at the waitress and ordered two cups of coffee, staring down at the menu when she walked away to fill their order. 
“You can’t spend the next twenty-four hours like this,” Noah hissed, his clasped hands resting on the table top and the metal of the cuffs clinking on the edge as he moved.  “I know you, you won’t be able to keep it up.”
“Watch me,” Ford rejoined, wondering if he should order some food since airplane cuisine was notoriously bad.
“I can’t believe that after everything we’ve meant to each other, you can so easily write me off like this, without even letting me explain,” Noah retorted, slapping his hands down on the table.
Ford smiled reassuringly at the elderly couple sitting by the window who turned to see what the commotion was, before growling at Noah.  “Cut that shit out.  I don’t want to have to restrain you.”
Noah kicked out under the table childishly and connected with Ford’s leg, smiling in satisfaction when the other man winced.  “What are you gonna do? Pop a cap in my ass?”
“Thank you, ma’am,” Ford said sweetly, waiting until the young girl had put their coffees down and retreated behind the counter.  “Have you any idea of the magnitude of the shit you’re in?” he hissed, pouring some milk and automatically spooning three sugars into Noah’s coffee out of habit.  “Let’s ignore for a minute the fact that our entire relationship has been a lie from the word go.  Or that until twenty-four hours ago I didn’t even know your real name Mr. Beckett – hell, I don’t even know if that is your real name, you could have given a false one to Miami PD.”
“It’s my real na—“
“I’m not finished! There are four outstanding warrants for drug offences against you, Noah! Not forgetting one warrant for questioning in relation to the murder of a known drug-user and prostitute.  It’s all there in black and white.  Are you going to tell me that it wasn’t your face on AMW?  That it’s just someone who looks a lot like you?”  Ford picked up his coffee cup and took a large mouthful, not even registering how hot the liquid was even though it burned on the way down his throat.  He was too angry.  “That it’s a case of mistaken identity? You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time?”  He held up his hand when Noah opened his mouth to reply.  “I don’t want to hear it.  The evidence they have against you is irrefutable, so there is no point in you trying to get out of it with more lies.  I’m taking you to Miami and handing you over to the DEA where you will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law,” he leaned closer to Noah across the table.  “Remember that you are my prisoner and I do not have to make nice with you.  So drink your coffee and shut up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment